Indian festivals and sweets are synonyms to each other. Festivals in India are not complete without a plateful of colourful sweets. These Cashew Fudge or Kaju Katli as called in Hindi is one of my favorite sweets and is a permanent feature in my house during all festivals.
There are many ways & recipes to make these cashew fudge, you can make it using cashew powder and sugar syrup or soak the nuts and make it. I like the later method and soak the nuts in milk before making the fudge.
- Cashew nuts 250 gms
- Powder Sugar 200 gms or a little less
- 1 tsp. cardamom powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp. clarified butter/ghee
Heat a heavy bottom wok and add 1 tbsp of ghee. Add the above cahew nut mix and keep stirring for about 10 minutes on medium heat mix till it makes a solid ball.
Take the dough out on a flat surface and cool it a little.
Flatten the dough using a rolling pin into a thin sheet. Use a butter paper to roll the dough if it is sticky.
- You can make the fudge with other nuts such as Pistachios and walnuts using the same method.
- If the dough is sticky to roll heat it for a little more time.
- And if the dough becomes too hard, add a few drops of milk and roll it.
- I have used edible silver paper here.
- I add a little less sugar than mentioned, as sugar mars the taste of cashew and I prefer less sugar in my sweets.