Normally Chandrakala has the stuffing of mawa or the condensed and thickened milk, I prefer the filling of nuts and honey.
(makes 25-30 pieces)
- 2 cups of refined flour or maida
- 2 tsp. of semolina or suji
- 1/4 cup of oil
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of saffron or orange color
- Milk to knead the dough
- Oil for deep frying
- Assorted nuts
- 1 tbsp. Honey
- A pinch of Saffron
For the sugar syrup:
- 1 Kg sugar
- 1 lt of water
Method: Take a big vessel and add the refined flour and salt in it. Make a well in the center and add the 1/4 cup of oil in it. Mix it lightly till the flour resembles bread crumbs.
Add water and make a pliable dough of soft consistency.
Make small balls and roll them into thin circles, or make a big ball from the dough and then make a big circle and cut it into small circles of 4 cm.
Cashew, Almonds, Pistachios, figs, raisins and blueberries goes well as a healthy and exotic filling. Make a coarse powder of the assorted nuts. Heat a skillet and add honey to it, add saffron and the assorted nuts powder to it. Cook the above mix for a few minutes and take off the flames. Cool the mixture.
Sugar syrup: Be the water and add sugar into it. Make a 2 string consistency sugar syrup.
Assembling the Chandrakala:
The below two methods are more common in making Chandrakalas;
1. Full moon shape: Take a small circles made with the dough and spread a spoonful of the above mix over it, cover this with another small circle.Pinch the sides of both the circles by twisting and turning the dough.
2. Crescent shapes: Take one circle and fill the stuffing, twist and turn the edges to close the circle. I made the crescent shaped Chandrakalas.
Heat oil in a wok and deep fry these Chandrakalas in it till they turn dark brown in color. Dip these cooked Chandrakalas in the sugar syrup and take them out. Decorate these scrumptious Chandrakalas with silver foil and store them in an airtight container.
These Nutty Chandrakalas are a delicacies worth trying out this festive season. Try mawa or cottage cheese stuffing mixed with the nuts and get another delicious version of these sweet indulgence. Festive wishes to you all. Take care.
Try these healthy wholewheat delights from Lite Bite;